Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and New Tower, West Berlin, 1960s — Archive & Atlas
An interpretation of depth — not a measured reconstruction
Depth is precomputed and interpretive — the scene falls back to the flat image where a browser can't render it.

Berlin, Germany

Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church and New Tower, West Berlin, 1960s — Archive & Atlas

Unattributed 1960–1969

AA-2026-18C6B4

The Archivist
Ask about this image
Archivist
Sign in to ask the Archivist about this image.
Step into the scene
Off by default. Turning it on lets the image respond to your cursor with a shallow sense of depth, rebuilt from a depth map computed when the image was catalogued. It is an interpretation for looking, not a measured 3D model — and it falls back to the flat image where the browser can't render it.

On the image

Berlin kept its ruin on purpose. The bombed-out spire of the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church, its top sheared off in a 1943 air raid, was left standing after the war not out of neglect but as a civic decision, a jagged reminder planted in the middle of a rebuilt shopping district on the theory that a city should not be allowed to forget too quickly.

Beside it, filling the right of the frame like an argument in concrete, rises the new bell tower finished in the early 1960s, its honeycomb of glass-and-concrete cells designed by Egon Eiermann to be the opposite of the old stone in every respect: light where it was heavy, blank where it was carved, forward-looking where the other was frozen mid-collapse. West Berliners nicknamed the pairing the Hollow Tooth and the Lipstick and the Powder Compact, proof that no civic monument survives contact with the public without acquiring a nickname.

Both towers keep clocks, which is its own small joke: one records the exact minute a bomb stopped it, the other tells the correct time, and Cold War West Berlin, eager to demonstrate which Germany had actually recovered, made sure everyone visiting Breitscheidplatz saw both.

The historian's note

The Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church was consecrated in 1895 in honor of the first German Kaiser and stood as a symbol of imperial Berlin until Allied bombing in November 1943 destroyed most of its structure, leaving only the entrance hall and a shattered west tower intact.

After the war, West Berlin authorities debated demolishing the ruin entirely but instead voted to preserve the damaged tower as a memorial against war, while commissioning architect Egon Eiermann to build an adjoining new church and freestanding bell tower, completed between 1959 and 1963, using a modular honeycomb facade of concrete and blue glass.

The site, on Breitscheidplatz at the western end of the Kurfürstendamm, became one of the most photographed landmarks of divided Berlin, its juxtaposition of ruin and reconstruction widely read as a physical statement about postwar West German identity.

Subjects & keywords — each links to a search

From the community

Identifications, corrections, and discussion from readers — reviewed by a librarian before appearing here.

Sign in to add an identification, correction, or comment.

No notes yet — be the first to add what you know about this image.

Archive & Atlas — The Archive AA-2026-18C6B4 · jpg · Open