Glienicke Bridge, Leaving the American Sector, 1960s Berlin — Archive & Atlas
An interpretation of depth — not a measured reconstruction
Depth is precomputed and interpretive — the scene falls back to the flat image where a browser can't render it.

Glienicke Bridge, Berlin/Potsdam

Glienicke Bridge, Leaving the American Sector, 1960s Berlin — Archive & Atlas

Unattributed 1960–1969

AA-2026-8E224B

The Archivist
Ask about this image
Archivist
Sign in to ask the Archivist about this image.
Step into the scene
Off by default. Turning it on lets the image respond to your cursor with a shallow sense of depth, rebuilt from a depth map computed when the image was catalogued. It is an interpretation for looking, not a measured 3D model — and it falls back to the flat image where the browser can't render it.

On the image

The sign does the important work here, in four languages, because the Cold War was nothing if not thorough about paperwork. Pedestrians stroll past it on the Glienicke Bridge as if it were a municipal notice about parking, which is its own kind of achievement, since the sign is announcing the edge of the free world.

The bridge itself, all elegant steel arches over the Havel, was built for connecting Potsdam to Berlin, not for the more dramatic sideline it acquired after 1945 as the seam between American and Soviet zones. Tourists in overcoats pause to be photographed at the line, drawn by the specific thrill of standing exactly where one political system legally became another.

Nobody in the frame looks nervous, which is the real evidence of how normal the abnormal had become by the 1960s. A checkpoint that could, in theory, become the site of a superpower incident was, in practice, just another spot where a man in a hat walked his dog.

The historian's note

The Glienicke Bridge crosses the Havel River connecting Potsdam to the Wannsee district of Berlin. Built in its current steel-arch form in 1907, it became, after the division of Germany following the Second World War, the boundary between the Soviet occupation zone (later East Germany) and the American sector of West Berlin.

Throughout the Cold War the bridge was closed to ordinary civilian traffic and became known internationally as a site for the exchange of captured intelligence agents between the United States and the Soviet Union, a role that earned it the nickname the Bridge of Spies. The multilingual signage marking the sector boundary, seen at the American checkpoint side, was standard installation at all such crossings in divided Berlin.

By the 1960s the bridge functioned primarily as a heavily monitored border point rather than a public thoroughfare, with pedestrian and vehicle access tightly restricted by both East German and American authorities.

Subjects & keywords — each links to a search

From the community

Identifications, corrections, and discussion from readers — reviewed by a librarian before appearing here.

Sign in to add an identification, correction, or comment.

No notes yet — be the first to add what you know about this image.

Archive & Atlas — The Archive AA-2026-8E224B · jpg · Open